Saturday, January 22, 2022

Beginning my Genius Hour


As expressed before, my genius hour idea is going to be how to write a book with absolutely no background in book writing or creative writing. Do I think this is insane and probably not attainable? Absolutely. Am I super excited anyway? Yes. 

This week I decided it would be best to pull out some of the old "writing a book for dummies" links, so I did some research on what steps people go through to write books in their experience. I haven't come too far with it yet, and so next week I will be continuing/finishing up this research and attempting to come up with anything to go with my book - i.e. a theme, concept, character, setting, idea, plot, anything at all to get the gears rolling on moving towards the first chapter. Even if I cannot write an entire book in the span of this class, I would at least like to get a few chapters or perhaps a short story. Either way, some of the research I did and the links I looked into are below. 

Throughout this research and inquiry about the steps that go into writing a book, I've come to realize it's not necessarily about the content or the idea which I thought it was. Most of what is suggested within the concept of sitting down and writing a book is about your mental capacity to do it. Some of the questions asked on one website were "Do you have the time and energy to commit to writing a whole book?" and one of the suggestions underneath as the #1 tip was to have a consistent writing space. I knew environment had to do with writing because you can't write a book in a room full of screaming kids, but I never considered how much time and energy goes into book writing. Not to mention if you hate what you write, or a deadline is approaching, or you get writers block the level of anger or frustration that must arise. Some of the other websites I looked at mentioned similarly along the same lines of the first one - about environment, mental capacity and the phases or stages or writing, editing and publishing. Here they are below: 

        https://goinswriter.com/tips-writing-book/

        https://self-publishingschool.com/how-to-write-a-book/

While it isn't huge strides towards my genius hour product quite yet, I feel as though the information from these websites made me more consciously aware of how much energy and time really goes into writing a book - which from the side of the reader can be deeper appreciated on behalf of those authors who do this for a living. That's it for now - until next week when I finish the research and start brainstorming ideas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

The... End?

 Well, this seems to be the end of the road.. at least in terms of my Genius Hour thus far.  It was definitely not easy, and I've never ...